Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Amazing

He actually watched - and I mean watched - his first thunderstorm with excitement yesterday.  We still had a few screeches as the thunder wailed in the air but how amazing it was to see him enjoying something he has literally despised for years with a double rainbow to end this 'first'.  I can thank my sister for getting him his red headphones which prepared us for quite an amazing 4th of July also - which again was a first with him being able to function in a very crowded environment.  Those headphones tag along with him as often as bo-bo; his first stuffed bunny he received when he was 2 months old.

We are learning how to work with Matt's sensory needs though it has been quite a rough road.  I am seeing his behavioral disruptions more as a reaction to a sensory dysfunction than a defiant disobedient little boy.   The key to it is to catch it before the behavior comes out.  This has been a tricky quest for me as its usually not until I see the behavior that I realize what caused it.  I guess we are on the right track as I now know when excessive noise is going to be present we pull out those red headphones.  Thanks sis!

2 comments:

  1. I would love for my son to use headphones to help him with his noise issues. But he won't wear them because of his other sensory issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you might want to desensitize him with objects over his ears. Does he wear knit hats during the winter? That might be a starting point to get him use to something over his ears - especially if it is soft. Once he seems he can tolerate that, them move on to ear muffs - which are still soft at the ear but then has the band over the head. Also try to have him listen with headphones - maybe while listening to his favorite music or playing on the computer. Move on next to regular construction sound proof headphones. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment