Sunday, January 13, 2013

Personal Hygiene and the Asperger's Child


A common behavior characteristic in Aspergers kids is the dislike of grooming and personal hygiene habits. Aspies of all ages seem to have difficulty establishing sound hygiene routines in the areas of bathing/showering, brushing hair, changing clothes, haircuts, cleaning teeth and washing hair.  You are probably wondering "Where do I begin to get this all under control?".  Honestly it is a step by step process and you will not accomplish it all within a week or a few months.  I will not explain why the aspie child has problems in this area as that can be found anywhere you look on the web.  I want to keep each post short and sweet and how we as a TEAM worked together to overcome each obstacle. 

This series of blogs will attempt to gear you in the right direction.  It is what I have done and although we are far from being there we are slowly getting to that point.  I will list each one below and as I have a post written I will enter the link so you can follow up on it.  Please add your suggestions cause what works for one might not work for another and who knows, I might find the missing link that will help my son overcome his difficulties with you sharing how you got your child to improve on his personal hygiene.

My darling son is going to be 15 and I think our biggest obstacle right now is still with brushing teeth.  So that will be probably the last post I write about in this series as we are still working on it.  I want to start with showering as this has been a battle in itself since he was 2 years old.  I like to say I no longer need to remind him it's time for a shower and I will share in my post - Personal Hygiene (Bathing/Showering) on how we accomplished this.  Sit back and enjoy and visit often as I work on this series.

Upcoming Post in regards to Personal Hygiene with the Aspie Child:

Bathing/Showering - washing all body parts -[Click here to read this post]
Washing Hair {post forthcoming}
Changing Clothes {post forthcoming}
Haircuts {post forthcoming}
Brushing Teeth {post forthcoming}

Feel free to email me any questions/comments and I will answer them within a day as my email is checked on a daily basis or leave a comment below.



5 comments:

  1. My brother suggested I might like this blog.

    He was entirely right. This post truly made my day.

    You cann't imagine simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

    Feel free to visit my page; diet plans for women

    ReplyDelete
  2. If a child's parents were never married, most states dictate that the child's biological mother has sole physical custody unless the biological father takes action to be considered for custody. child custody

    ReplyDelete
  3. phs Ireland I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First aid box A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the blog filled with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. Now my task has become as easy as ABC. what is word family in english

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment