Monday, September 20, 2010

Happy Mommy!

It happened.  I am just as excited as any mom would be like when their kids take their first step or say their first word.  My ASD boy M actually took a shower last night and wanted (get this - he WANTED) to wash his own hair.  Now he still wanted me in the bathroom with him to step him thru the procedures - but this is a night I have been waiting for a long time.  I think what initiated it was the other night when I was washing his hair I explained that he doesn't want mom to be washing his hair when he is 18 so he needs to start learning now (He is 12.5 now).  He still needed the wash cloth to cover his eyes when rinsing but I was so proud of him.  My fingers are staying crossed that this continues.  His reward for taking his own shower was staying up 1/2 hour later (which he turned down because he said - but I always go to bed at 9 - I can't  stay up 1/2 hour later)  He knew mom was proud of his new independents and he got a lot of verbal praise. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm a new follower. My current blog doesn't deal w/ Asperger's but I'm planning on starting one soon. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog. I think two of the harder things of dealing with Asperger's are the rages/meltdowns and feeling alone because I don't really have anyone to talk to who understands.

    My son (w/ asperger's) is 8 and only recently began taking showers. He decided he wanted to wash his own hair the night before last. I checked afterwards and only his bangs and part of the top of head was wet. Hmmm not exactly a win but it's a start. : )

    Good night!

    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well my son is now officially a teenager (13 yrs and 2 months) and we are back to me washing his hair. He will do the rest of him, but oh how I can't wait til he does this himself. I sure hope he isn't gonna want me to shave him in a few years. The nicks I put in myself from shaving my own legs will sure deter him from me shaving his face. I will cross that road when I get to it. I need to get him to cross this bridge of showering for himself. Someday!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment